Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The importance of a photograph

This past weekend I made a trip up to Michigan to see family. The whole weekend felt different to me than the other trips I've made over the years. Mark and I drove around Trenton where my mom grew up and where my grandparents lived. We drove past my grandma's house - about three times lol. I kept asking him to drive past again and he patiently obliged. We drove downtown where my grandmother used to walk and do errands and where my dad used to take us kids to the magazine store. The store is gone and is now a daycare, but you can see right where the store used to be. We drove over the big bridge that always told us kids we were nearly to grandma's house. It was all such a comforting and somewhat sad feeling.

I spent a lovely day with my aunt - something we rarely get to do since we both have children. She showed me a slideshow she made for my great aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. I was determined to be strong and not cry. I knew it would exhaust me if I showed too much emotion. Then this photo came across my computer screen. I cried. I held it in. A little, but it just really got to me. This one little image means the world to me. My grandfather adored me and this photo really shows me that. I love how I'm looking up at him and he is probably telling me something about his garden. This was the summer of 1973...I was nearly four. He died the following April. I have a few memories of him, but I have many precious photos of us together. He didn't smile in many photographs, but he sure smiled at ME in the ones of us together.

So, I just wanted to share my "moment" with you.

3 comments:

Jen Martin said...

Lisa that is soo sweet. You both look so happy to be with each other. Isn't it wonderful to come across a picture like this after so many years? God bless you & your family.

Unknown said...

awww! that photo is just priceless and precious!
not sure how you held back the emotion upon seeing the slideshow.

makes your job that much more important. capturing people as they are today in their story!

thanks for sharing such a touching photograph.

Angela said...

awww...So glad that you are able to have these memories of your Grandpa. I was very close to my Papa (Mom's Dad) and he passed away when I was 8. It's amazing the impact they have on us even when we are very young. I carry him with me everyday. Take care!