Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Be Green!

I really try hard to live as green as I can so I thought I'd share what I do. Or try anyway. :-)

I use canvas bags when I go to the grocery store and love them. It sure beats having hundreds of plastic bags at home!

I use the canvas everyday shopper. http://www.ecobags.com

Water bottles. When manufacturers make plastic water bottles they use about 5 liters of water to cool the plastic . Crazy! My girls love using these: http://www.kleankanteen.com/ SIGG also makes great water bottles.

Plastic in general isn't good for you. I'm slowly getting rid of my plastic containers and using glass. I just read that if your plastic has the number 2, 4 or 5, the plastic is safe.

Napkins, I just read on Oprah's site that if we reduce our napkin usage by ONE a day, it would make a difference. We use 2,200 a year, per person on average. Giving up one a day would save a billion pounds of paper in our landfills!! Wow. Good thing I use my hand. haha.

CFL Lightbulbs. Nearly every lightbulb in my home is energy-saving.

Cleaning products. I'm not quite as good about this, but I make my own cleaning solution for quick clean ups of countertops, floors, toilets and sinks.

It would make such a huge difference if everyone did at least ONE of these ideas! There are many more than I am slowly switching to, but it takes time.

3 comments:

Marty said...

OK I finally go to your blog and have to check to make sure I wasn't on an Al Gore reading the great Green Hype. I prefer to leave as large of a carbon foot print I possibly can. :-) You should be outside enjoying the wonderful warm weather (due to global warming of course). I was just wondering .... does Canon make a camera that is completely bio degradeable? Just having fun with you. Happy VD

Marty

Lisa said...

Oh Marty, stop acting like an old man haha.

Unknown said...

Interesting about the napkins. We use cloth for the family -- only have paper for non-family members and super-messy meals.

I also got a big package of washcloths from the dollar store, and I use those instead of sponges and for most cases where I might use a paper towel. Then I throw them in with my laundry. I find they actually work better on dishes than sponges do, and one's less likely to have them sitting around dirty long enough to breed germs.